The Purpose of a Brand
These last few months I met and took on some clients who have severals brands under an umbrella corporation. But that umbrella? No solid branding in place – not even a website that lists all the things they do, offer, and provide.
These folks are already making money without solid branding. So, why have a brand at all? Why not just scale up with what they have already? Why not just keep doing it word of mouth or building out the parts of the overall umbrella?
A brand helps you effortlessly create more income because you generate a loyal base of customers who do your advertising for you.
For example, I can go to almost any PLR thread on the internet where someone’s asking where to find good PLR (private label content)– and there’s almost always at least a few people saying “Tiffany Dow’s PLR Mini Mart!”
Tiffany is a really smart business woman and she’s totally built her business online. They’re promoting her store because they know it’s associated with quality.
One of the branding books I read stated that your goal is to create a rabid fan base. That means they’d go Honey Badger in your defense, and she has that. It means they talk about you to their friends and family – who have no clue who you are.
Now, these clients of mine – they have that too, even without consistent branding. The thing about this type of success is that people will not only rabidly defend you, they will also attack you.
And if you process everything in terms of dollars and cents, then it also means whenever you promote something to them – a product or service – they often buy without even knowing what it is – because YOU promoted it. My new clients have that too. They have a history of delivering – and a fan base that tells other people about their performance.
Here’s my problem with the overall branding of my new clients – they are inconsistent even with what little branding they have already. Why?
- They didn’t have anyone consistent to work with when it came to graphics, websites, ect.
- They are so busy actually running their business that they don’t have time to figure out how to make a logo and use it on each social media platform, or how to create and update a website.
- They don’t have a platform or database that is easily accessible for all their team members.
Here’s what I hope to do for them and with them, in order to get their branding to be consistent, and to help them make even more money.
- Establish a parent company website that
- lists services and pricing for each
- shows a portfolio of services provided and to whom
- has feedback from current and past clients of success rates
- information on each project under that umbrella (radio station, TV show, ect)
- Establish consistent visual content for both the parent company and the projects across all media – Social media, TV, Print.
Much of the information and graphics are already made. They just need to decide which to use, and then get them added across all media. You know, upload it to their Facebook page, their Youtube Channel.
So, let me ask you this. Is your branding consistent across the board?